One classroom event I had this year was recently, about a month before the end of the school year. I teach 7th grade science and we were starting to get our feet wet into science fair projects. This was no small task. Students were confused and I was confused and this was not a good mix for my 4th period class. In an effort to try and give them an overview or something (i don't really remember anymore) this class just would not listen. They are 'still learning' to listen to the teacher and each other for instructions and help. I was so frustrated that I almost broke down in the middle of class. I pretty much gave up with them that day. I put some meaningless assignment for them to do on the board and sat at my desk trying to figure out how I would get through the last 20 minutes of class with those students. I didn't go to school the next day. Instead I took a day for myself to organize and figure things out with the science fair.
What I learned from it is that no matter how comfortable your students are with the classroom structure and with the teacher, if things are not completely and clearly laid out, they will act out in the most frustrating way possible. When I am confused and a little lost, they are definitely confused and completely lost. Their inability to understand the material comes out with behavior problems instead of them just asking for clarification. It was a tough lesson to learn, but also taught me that I need to be patient with new concepts and also admit to the students when it is a confusing process that we will be able to make it through. Once I was able to do this, to tell them that I know it is confusing and if they just trust what I'm telling them to do, we would make it through.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree. It was interesting how organization is so important. When I created a lesson that was not completely thought out it was evident when the students became uninterested and distracted. I also had to learn that my lessons will not always be perfect but if I accept imperfection and make sure to explain any confusing issues that things will go more smoothly.
ReplyDeleteNice Sherry, I'm glad you were able to take a personal day for yourself. That's super hard to do in teaching, but so necessary sometimes!
ReplyDeleteSherry, it was very brave of you to take the day of, but like 'the holla' I believe it was the right thing to do in your case. Did you ask to any senior teachers for help in organization? Or did you figure it out your self?
ReplyDeleteSherry, I totally agree with you! Organization is soooo important. In the past I prided myself in how organized I was and how I keep things neat and laid out. But things have changed this past year, I hope temporarily. I am sure that as we grow as teachers things will become easier.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this informative post
ReplyDelete